Private Guided Sightseeing Tours
Guided Tours of The Hague
The Malieveld thanks to William of Orange himself!
The Malieveld may not be built on because the Redemption Act of 1576 which prohibits it. It goes on to state that no one should ever cut down a tree and that the forest can not be sold. The Act was signed by William himself and most recently ratified again by a Cabinet of Prime Minister Rutte.
The Malieveld is the largest open space in The Hague (also known as Den Haag) with a size of 550 x 200 meters (over 10 hectares). It was originally part of the Hague Forest.
At the beginning of the 80 Years' War, part of the Hague Forest closest to the Royal City was cut down to create a rampart around The Hagues most important buildings. The Spaniards arrived and occupied The Hague quickly before it could be properly defended and the wood was used by them in their defence against the Dutch insurgents from Leiden which they besieged next.
Because it rained a lot in the years just after the de-forestation it washed away the fertile soil and the forest on the site of the Malieveld never came back . In 1594 it was decided (as the Malieveld consisted mainly then of uneven dunes) to finally flatten it altogether. This created the field which can tour to this day.
From 1606 the lawn was used to play the game. Malic (or palm sage) This game, a forerunner of golf and croquet, was popular among the English and French nobility. Malieveld owes its name to this game, just as the road in London infront of Buckingham Palace (Pall Mall).
Around 1705 Malieveld was considerably shortened by extending the Hague. The Prinsessegracht was extended and became the new frontier of the Malieveld and our Guided Tour of The Hague.