Private Guided Sightseeing Tours
Guided Tours of The Hague
The Mauritshuis is a 17th-century example of classicist Dutch architecture
Count John Maurice, Prince of Nassau-Siegen, a cousin of the then reigning Frederick Henry, bought some land in 1631 next to the Inner Court and the Court Pond in the The Hague. On the land, the Dutch classicist Mauritshuis was built for him between 1636 and 1641 by the architects Jacob van Campen and Pieter Post, whilst he was the governor of the Dutch colony in Brazil.
The Prince returned to The Hague to take up residence and was famous for holding lavish parties and being served by bare-breasted Brazilian girl servants which he brought back with him; much to the scandal of many righteous Hague residents of the time.
After the death of the Prince in 1679, the house was bought by the Maes family, who leased the house to the Dutch government. In 1704, most of the interior of the house was destroyed by fire. It was restored between 1708 and 1718. In 1820, the house was bought by the Dutch state for the purpose of housing the Royal Cabinet of Paintings. In 1822, the Mauritshuis was opened to the public and housed the Royal Cabinet of Paintings and the Royal Cabinet of Rarities. In 1875, the entire museum became available for paintings.
The Mauritshuis was privatised in 1995. The foundation set up at that time took charge of both the building and the collection, which it was given on loan. Vermeer’s Girl with a Pearl Earring and the collection will be on show at the City Museum until June. On June 27th 2014 it re-opens its doors after major renovation.
Entrance to this very special Museum costs € 14 p.p.